Monday, April 10, 2017

100: Navigating Daily Charity Made Easier with Charity Navigator

Woohoo Day 100 of Donations by the Dozen.

 My goals for this program were multi-fold, and I am accomplishing many of them. I do want to mention I had highly hoped more of you would reach out and recommend ideas or nonprofits, ask questions, tell me your cool ideas and things. I do reach out to people too, but I would love for this to be more of a conversation than it has been. 
I have discovered some favorite  nonprofits I know I will continue to support, though of course I wish I could do more.
I am bound by IRS rules to donate and account for things in multiple ways. To do this, I have relied heavily on Charity Navigator. "Charity Navigator works to guide intelligent giving. By guiding intelligent giving, we aim to advance a more efficient and responsive philanthropic marketplace, in which givers and the charities they support work in tandem to overcome our nation’s and the world’s most persistent challenges." (https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=17
As the manager of two foundations and as an individual, I have used Charity Navigator for quite a few years. Since Charity Navigator is also a nonprofit, I donate at the end of each year. I think I owe them big this year, but for today, they are part of the program. 
As with many of the nonprofits I have chosen, Charity Navigator has so much to offer, I won't be able to do it complete justice in detail. The main things you should know is they exist to assist in more ways than just rating charities. The Tips for Donors page can help you decide how to identify, respond, analyze, and support the ideas that draw you to philanthropy. This source offers a variety of articles if you want to know how to handle choosing, how to handle solicitors, questions you should ask, things about scams and other great ways to make the best of your support. Charity Navigator also covers Hot Topics, tracks recent donations made through their site (on the home page), and their Methodology for ratings. Often when charities have not been rated or are not subject to providing information to be rated, Charity Navigator till has a great deal of information they do provide. If you want to know more about Charity Navigator, scroll to the bottom of any page, since they know you mainly visit for the nonprofit sections of the page.
For me, the amount of information I need makes Charity Navigator my main resource each day as I donate. Since I need all of the information like EIN, address, and more, I can easily find it there and assure each nonprofit has the proper status to qualify for my donation. I strongly believe in supporting sites I use who need donations, and I am happy to support and offer immense gratitude to the amazing hard work of all of the stakeholders of Charity Navigator. Also Happy 15th Birthday, Charity Navigator.




You can find the Donations by the Dozen posts here on google,
or on the Grace Initiative Foundation Tree, LLC's website http://www.graceinit.org/donations-by-the-dozen.html where you can enter your email to subscribe for an email daily dose of Donations by the Dozen.
Our email is DonationsByTheDozen@gmail.com.
Thanks and cheers to charity








No comments:

Post a Comment