Sunday, April 9, 2017

99: Acumen Pairs Philanthropy and Charity for Success

In researching an article to be released later, I discovered an exciting organization called  Acumen.  "As a non-profit, we raise charitable donations that allow us to make patient long-term debt or equity investments in early-stage companies providing reliable and affordable access to agricultural inputs, quality education, clean energy, healthcare services, formal housing, and safe drinking water to low-income customers." (http://acumen.org/about/) I'm going to pick my top three things to share, since Acumen has so much to offer I can't share it all. 
First and in my own interpretation, Acumen combines the best elements of private and public foundations to create a model focusing on issues at every level. They do this with dignity and teamwork at a global level while remaining open, communicative, and passionate. Why is this so great? It's better than great, because they have bridged a gap from personal to public in a way I might have thought was impossible if I didn't wish to do it myself. The capture below shows the business model, and anyone familiar with private, grant writing non profits will recognize how things generally stop at writing a check. Acumen doesn't stop there, and it's a model of beauty. "The patient capital Acumen provides is accompanied by a wide range of management support services nurturing the company to scale. Our aim in investing patient capital is not to seek high returns, but rather to jump-start the creation of enterprises that improve the ability of the poor to live with dignity." (http://acumen.org/investments/investment-model-2/) 
http://acumen.org/investments/investment-model-2/
Second, I love the open architecture of the organization's attitude/personality. Whether you want to partner, donate, volunteer, or support in some other way, you can find an inclusive and empowering opportunity. Which leads us to my favorite part for the short-term. 
Third, you can take classes. If you know me in real life, you know how much I love learning, so of course I'm all about the classes. "We created +Acumen to give people a meaningful way to “add Acumen” to their lives. Learn through online courses or volunteer and network through our chapters. You could even create and lead a new chapter in your city. The world needs you to lead. This is your invitation." (http://acumen.org/leadership/plusacumen/)
Finding Acumen gave me a hope and helped reignite my belief in my own abilities, because I know, now, there are others out there like me - well, like me but so much better. 



You can find the Donations by the Dozen posts here on google,
or on the Grace Initiative Foundation Tree, LLC's website http://www.graceinit.org/donations-by-the-dozen.html where you can enter your email to subscribe for an email daily dose of Donations by the Dozen.
Our email is DonationsByTheDozen@gmail.com.
Thanks and cheers to charity






No comments:

Post a Comment