Thursday, January 5, 2017

Five: High Flying With the National Audubon Society

Here in America, today is National Bird Day, so the first thing that came to mind was the National Audubon Society (NAS). The reason it is National Bird Day is because the NAS holds an annual Christmas Bird Count ending on January 5 of each year. This year was the 117th! My family has long been a fan, stemming from my mother has who has a plethora of bird feeding and nesting in her back yard. We have a tree called "The Waiting Room" where various species take turns in the queue, and it can mesmerize you indefinitely if you let it. So each year for various holidays, we've given her gifts related to the birds, and many of them have come from or supported the NAS.
For over a hundred years (since 1901), the National Audubon Society has led the field (in my perhaps not at all humble opinion)  in conservation, science, policy and education.  They have programs in 22 states with almost 500 local chapters. I think the bird education and identification is the most fun part, so let's take a look at that. The NAS has a fabulous free bird guide: http://www.audubon.org/bird-guide  and a lot of free phone apps, which I highly recommend. Just a precautionary tale: not a great idea to start playing the bird calls in front of your 150 pound Great Dane.
Because they offer exquisite photographs and have contest for some of those pictures, I have not included more than my receipt image. Plus it's so cold and snowy here, I thought you might enjoy taking a look at the beauty in their site. This page offers tips, ethics and more if you want to get out there and photograph you own. http://www.audubon.org/photography.
Speaking of the receipt picture, I have  small story.  I used to take shower in summer in the early evening to sit outside in the warm sun to dry my hair. I wish I could remember the brand, but one summer, I was astounded to find hummingbirds coming up to me that time of day. Apparently, they loved the smell of the conditioner and would pick up my hair and sit on my shoulder at times. I often wish I could recreate it intentionally but to no avail - probably for the best. Those memories are precious, yet I forget until moments like this when I see a picture and find myself so honored for those moments. Thank you , National Audubon Society for being one of the oldest and most dedicated nonprofits in America. Happy National Bird Day. everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment