Monday, April 17, 2017

107: A HERO for Hero



I think we all need a hero these days when it comes to the heroin epidemic overwhelming our world. Meet the HERO Foundation, Heroin Epidemic Relief Organization. The co-founders formed HERO after both of them lost sons who were battling heroin addiction. Battle come up a lot with heroin, and it truly is a battle on so many levels. HERO says, "Our mission is to stop the growing heroin/opioid epidemic that has rapidly swept across our nation through our own programs and by supporting strategic pieces of legislation all while providing comfort and support to those who have lost a loved one to heroin/opioid or are currently helping a loved one who is struggling with this deadly disease." (http://theherofoundation.org)
HERO offers education, programs, resources, and an amazing feature in a trailer:
 The “Hidden In Plain Sight” trailer is a program HERO is presenting to show families the importance of detecting drugs and alcohol in their own home. The inside of the trailer is designed to look like a teenagers bedroom, with ordinary items placed in plain view to show where drugs or alcohol can be hidden. This educational tool is a great opportunity to educate family members on the importance of keeping a drug free home. The “bedroom” shows the warning signs and clues that aim to open parents eyes. What looks like a school textbook, sitting on your child’s desk may be hiding an addiction. This new tool comes as heroin and opioid use tightens its grip in our communities. (http://theherofoundation.org)
The programs HERO offers include, Activism, Grief Support,  Family Support, Prevention, and Intervention. I linked two videos for you today, because I thought they complemented each other in different, powerful ways.
Normally my field is rape, and though I support many other causes, I don't know as much about heroin/drugs as I want to know now to be more helpful. I am glad there are organizations like the HERO Foundation, but I also think we all need to be heroes now in whatever ways we can. For me, I am doing what I can with Neonatal Addiction Syndrome babies, because I don't feel knowledgeable enough to help adults yet. It pains me greatly to see some of the news we have like the three year old strapped in his baby car seat for hours or a one month old left for days in her home, both with dead or knocked out family who were supposed to care for them. It is these "unintended consequences" set of victims I can help, but I know there is more for me and for anyone who wants to help. Please be a hero and get involved in this tragic epidemic however you can? Volunteer, donate, share, anything.






You can find the Donations by the Dozen posts here on google,
or on the Grace Initiative Foundation Tree, LLC's website http://www.graceinit.org/donations-by-the-dozen.html where you can enter your email to subscribe for an email daily dose of Donations by the Dozen.
Our email is DonationsByTheDozen@gmail.com.
Thanks and cheers to charity



No comments:

Post a Comment